My Amazon Link

Monday, December 12, 2011

Finding the Perfect Job



by W. Mason Preddy

I worked as a healthcare recruiter for an awesome community hospital. In my time there, I was responsible for helping achieve record-low vacancy rates (there is a worldwide shortage of healthcare professionals) and increasing retention. I started new programs, and was responsible for applying for national and local awards, many of which we won. We then merged with a chain of hospitals in the area.

My position was eliminated, and I was devastated. I couldn’t understand how they could do something so nasty to someone who had given them so much. I received a severance package and was able to use some of the money to work on a double master’s certificate program from Tulane University. In looking back and examining what had happened, I realized that the work environment had really become miserable, and it was not a fun place to work anymore.

At first, I had my sights set on joining a consulting firm that did work in the healthcare industry. They were interested in me, and I went through a series of interviews. I was constantly writing affirmations that I got this job with “X” company, making “X” amount, etc. The job required constant travel—four or five days every week all over the country. While this was really not appealing to me, I told myself I would like it and it would be okay. Well, you can’t “trick” the Universe!

It knows just by the way you feel. I didn’t get the job. I was upset but knew that all the travel would have been a real drag. A series of other opportunities came along, and for various reasons, either I wasn’t interested when I learned more or I didn’t get the job. I continued to write affirmations with each position. What I didn’t realize is that you are not supposed to be telling the Universe “how” or “who,” etc. You are supposed to let the Universe handle that for you. That is a very difficult thing to do.

I decided to quit writing so many affirmations and just start concentrating on the way I felt. Looking back at the other jobs, I knew they really weren’t the best jobs for me, but I kept telling myself they would be great and everything would work out. Instead, I started talking about what I really wanted in a job. I would write an occasional affirmation, but rather than naming the company, I let the Universe work on what the organization would be. I just focused on what was important to me.

I wanted flexibility, to make a lot of money, to be happy at what I was doing, to like my co-workers and have them like me, to have the “perfect amount” of travel to pleasant places, and to be successful at what I was doing. Well, the Universe has presented me with an awesome new opportunity—with all of the above. I am very excited and start soon!

The major things I learned were: Don’t worry about the “how.” That is the job of the Universe. When something doesn’t work out, know that something better will come along. The Universe had a plan for me, and even though I was disappointed along the way, it has all worked out perfectly. This opportunity will definitely make me the happiest and has all the things I wanted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment